Microsoft says it plans to move Windows 10 S from an operating system dedicated to a special "S-mode" for the Windows 10 versions next year. While news of the plans leaked last month, Microsoft Vice President Joe Belfiore confirmed them on Twitter today. "Next year 10S will be a 'mode' of existing versions, not a different version," says Belfiore.
The new S Mode will block any copy of Windows 10, so you can only run applications from the Microsoft Store, and it will work in the same way as the dedicated Windows 10 S operating system. Microsoft is planning a new "S Mode" for the Windows 10 Home, Enterprise and Pro versions of the operating system.
We use Win10S as an option for schools or companies that want the guaranteed performance version "without problems". Next year 10S will be a "mode" of existing versions, not a different version. SO … I think it's fine / well that is not mentioned.- Joe Belfiore (@joebelfiore) March 7, 2018
Rumors previously suggested that Microsoft plans to allow Windows 10 Home users to disable Mode S for free, but Windows 10 Pro Mode S clients enabled on their device will have to pay $ 49 to have access to a full version of Windows 10 Pro. Microsoft has not confirmed this aspect of the new "S Mode" changes, and if the change does not occur until 2019, it is likely that those details have not yet been modified.
Microsoft will have to be careful with its approach to a new S Mode for Windows 10, particularly with which devices will be blocked by default. If the choice remains in the hands of the PC partners, then we could consider a mixed number of devices that will be shipped with the S mode enabled next year and possible confusion unless the change is well explained to consumers.